TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

eviction

Moderator: TenantNet

eviction

Postby goingincircles » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:55 am

I moved in with a man a year ago, when we moved into the house it was owned by the landlord he had been renting his apartment from, as it turns out he was several months behind in his apartment rent because he had gone to jail but when we moved into the house it was a seperate situation, the landlord said his past wouldnt affect our future and they would work something out together. Well Saturday morning, the man I lived with packed a Uhaul and moved all of his stuff out of the house,(we seperated), I called the landlord to arrange a new lease for me to stay in the house, he informed me that I had to be out by the end of the month for failure to pay rent, he claims we are 2 months behind in rent, when asked how that could be possible he said the rent we paid when we first moved in went towards the apartment making us behind since we have lived here...on Monday I found out that the man I was with moved back into his old apartment..so my question is, is it legal for a landlord to evict for non payment of rent and then rerent a different property to the person evicted for non payment?
goingincircles

Re: eviction

Postby Downtown » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:56 am

Don't know where you live in NY...but for most part rules are the same. If lease was in boyfriend's name and he was transfering from 1 apt to another property of LL could carry the balance.
However...if lease in both names = new lease. If lease was broken when your ex moved out, LL under no obligation to offer you a lease.
Read the lease (if your name is on) and see if any clause for breaking.
The debt for old apt was under ex. Would respond to any papers with your name and respond that you do not owe any rent.
Downtown

Return to NYS General Discussion