TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can a tenant alter an apartment without landlords permis

Moderator: TenantNet

Can a tenant alter an apartment without landlords permis

Postby Deanna » Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:17 pm

There are 3 apts. in the house that I live in. There is a tenant that lives in one of the apartments that has disrupted everyone else in the building. The main breaker box is in the hallway to her apt. and when she moved in, she was told that it was merely a hallway and that ALL tenants are to have access to that breaker box. When the power went off and she was called to flip the switch, she automatically started yelling at the rest of us about using too much power. She's lived here for 1 yr. and I've lived here for 5. This weekend she went away and gave the key to a friend, leaving only me the # for this person. I was also told that if the person had to come here more than once to flip a breaker switch, she would not come. This would mean the rest of the apts. would be left without a/c or any power for that matter. She also installed a deadbolt on the door, gave the landlord a fake key when she first moved in, because she changed the front door to the hallway. The landlord has been trying to evict her but has been unsuccessful so far. The woman uses extremely foul language constantly and the rest of us have children. What, if anything can we do? My landlord is beside himself at this point.
Deanna

Return to NYS General Discussion