TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Upstate NY Harassment - HELP!?

Moderator: TenantNet

Upstate NY Harassment - HELP!?

Postby TR777 » Tue May 24, 2005 12:21 am

I live in Upstate NY, not in NYC, and in a small town in a private rent (which I learned is HUD funded only some units and I don't know if it's mine because I wasn't informed. Former staff member said it was a recent thing they got HUD funding).

So far I been told by some police and lawyers that there's "nothing" that can be done.

The first of this month all was fine with me at my apartment, when I paid the rent the manager was very nice to me and stopped to talk a bit.

It all suddenly changed by mid-month when they hired a new staff member who seemed to not like me from the start even though I had never met him until I politely introduced myself when he was in the hallway, as I do say 'hi' to new neighbors.

Then another staff member whom I am friends with got fired after an accident. I agreed to help him out taking photos of the accident for him, as a personal favor.

One day the manager talked to another tenant (who is now hanging around doing work for them and whom I noticed actually smoking drugs last month) saying I was getting out of hand when I was sitting on my front porch. The other tenant then yelled at me calling my name, saying not to talk about him when I never talked about him to anyone! I panicked and called police. This was after I was talking to the former staff member after he got fired, just chit-chat as he was telling me what happened and that he was moving. I was wishing him well. And the same guy that yelled at me just minutes before waved to us (friendly like) as I USED to talk to him on good terms before all this.

They put the new guy (not the tenant) in charge of maintenance. Ok, so the new guy moves out from my building and someone related to him I'm told moves in. This guy plays REAL loud music. I told the manager and she said she'd check it out before she left work (she lives off site). She went home and never came by so I called police to get it to stop. I have health problems and can't take booming bass like that. The officer told him to stop and all that. Two days later I find a razor blade, blade side up under my car tire. A police report was filled out. I called the owner about it all and he got made at me saying I'm in trouble with him now.

So, today again, loud music. I chanced telling the manager and she got mad at me, telling me not to talk about others, that I'm harassing people, and something about calling the cops and my lawyer. I did meet with a police officer but they said they can't do anything. :(

Meanwhile, I don't know what will happen to my car. I have to check it over carefully each time before I go anywhere. I'm packed up but can't move for several months as I have no money. Due to disability I have a limited income even though I work part time from home. I don't have any friends that will take me in, I tried. So I'm stuck here or in the street (where I can't work then). My employer is very nice and understanding of my situation so I have no problems there.

However, I AM concerned about my car (It's all I have and can afford, and I love that car as it's nearly a classic and in great shape), I'm concerned about my property and even my life.

This is just a brief description of the problem. I've subscribed to a legal service but they tell me there is nothing that can help and my only right I have is to move out. They said there are too many people involved to sue them (manager, owner, and their maintenance staff of at least 3) But I can't move into the street as that's my only other option.

Any help/ideas on where to go next is appreciated. I feel I'm out of options and living here has become a nightmare.
TR777

Re: Upstate NY Harassment - HELP!?

Postby Downtown » Tue May 24, 2005 9:08 am

Noise, lousy neighbors is an impossible situation...and moving is your best option.
Minimally would use the deposit for last month's rent (which will provide resource for new deposit).
If you have a lease then write the LL that you are breaking it and moving on_____ because nothing has been done to cure the loud noise and harrassment. My guess is LL will be happy to let you go.
Stop calling the cops and chances are the neighbor will also stop harrassing you...otherwise move your car.
The best solution is to move...if using the deposit is not enough cash to do this...then stop paying rent.
Downtown

Postby TR777 » Tue May 24, 2005 9:28 am

Thanks for the reply but NONE of these things are an option. If I stop paying rent, I still won't have money before they would evict me.

Other developments came up which now I am not to talk about. So I can't say more but I can't move. That's all there is to it. The only move I can make is homelessness. Which I am trying to avoid.

Wish there was some other way...
TR777

Postby Downtown » Tue May 24, 2005 9:41 am

Have you tried talking with local social services to see if affordable housing is available. Have you looked in the local paper for an ad looking to rent a room or roommate.
If you stop paying rent then at least you have some money to work with...normally would not recommend but in your case sounds like the money would help. Ask local clinic how long eviction process takes (would assume that LL would still have to go through notices and court could be 60 days).
Downtown

Postby BronxRenter » Tue May 24, 2005 11:08 am

If you are paying the rent and continue to do so, then LL cannot evict you.

You did not post if you have a lease.

You have every right to call the police, if noise is disturbing the peace, you are being harassed, or if drugs are being used. You should make sure that there is an actual condition to correct, to avoid being labeled a crank. You're good at taking pictures, so take some of the drugs being used.

With these low life scums, you may have to park your car elsewhere, and walk to your apt. It's inconvenient, but it may save your last remaining property from demise, do not count on the police to protect it for you.
BronxRenter

Postby TR777 » Sun May 29, 2005 8:46 pm

Social services around here won't help unless one is already in the street, homeless and even then they don't help (thus why there's lots of homeless people around).

I have a lease which is good another year as I just renewed before all this happened.

I have a disability and can't walk too far, and there's no place else to park the car without it getting towed.

I can't take pictures as I don't want to get beat up or killed. Not worth the risk. I haven't seen anything lately because I'm staying in or only leaving to go out. I don't even talk to anyone anymore.

I'm just holding out until I can find a place to move. But places are expensive and my budget is pretty thin right now.

So far the noise hasn't been as bad as it was. They are at it again but not too unbearable as I type but they were quiet for about a few days to a week. And my car has so far been ok (I did get a Club on the car so that it might help prevent problems). I check the car over good when I go anywhere.

But if anything DOES happen again, or the noise becomes unbearable again, of course I'll call the police. In fact, the police encourage it.

<small>[ May 29, 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: TR777 ]</small>
TR777

Postby Downtown » Mon May 30, 2005 8:14 am

Why risk your car or yourself...better to be known as the quiet neighbor, then the one who calls the cops. Your well being is a lot more important than a call.
Before I got use to the city noise (fire trucks, car horns, etc.) use to leave my tv on for steady background noise. You could try ear plugs.
Until you can find different housing, best to keep a low profile...if you need to stay beyond the lease, lessens the chance of another not being offered. Sit on your porch, just a simple waive, "Hi, how are you". Complaining to management doesn't work, except against you. Don't be a prisoner in your apt.
Downtown

Return to NYS General Discussion