TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need a lawyer!

Moderator: TenantNet

Need a lawyer!

Postby lk11723 » Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:15 pm

I am looking for a lawyer who would be willing to work for free or for little money. I have been "screwed" (for lack of a better word) by the judicial system. I spent nearly a year living in an apartment with my two children, one of whom had to be hospitalized, due to poor air quality in my apartment (I lived there almost two years in total). The condition was caused by the landlord constantly flooding the basement under my apartment because of plumbing problems. Not only was the air difficult to breathe, but the smell could sometimes make you want to vomit. I tried to get the landlord to correct the problem by refusing to pay the rent and seek an abatement. Unfortunately, I ended up with a lawyer who took $900 from me (and wants more), while I had to tell him what to ask the witnesses because he obviously did not know what he was doing. This should have been a simple cut and dried case, and this guy managed to lose it. I want to appeal the judges decision, but don't know how. If there are any lawyers in Albany, NY who would be interested in turning over a bad decision by a new judge in the Town of Colonie as a matter of precedent, I could really use the help. P.S. If you want to smell the place for yourself, take a drive to 36 Lake Shore Drive, Watervliet, NY.
lk11723

Re: Need a lawyer!

Postby <BB> » Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:09 am

This probably isnt the answer your looking for, but if 1 lawyer already botched your case why are you trying to find another? You know what has happened, why not represent yourself? Go to the Pro Se Atty office and ask how and on what grounds you can file an appeal...I know you have 2 kids and are very busy, but at least if/when you represent yourself you are able to articulate and defend better, plus your kids will be so proud of you! Everyone makes law seem like brain surgery, but it really isn't, it's just logic and there are tons of sources to help you (TenantNet forum archives and crt decisions are awesome).
Best of Luck!!
<BB>

Postby consigliere » Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:45 pm

You MUST serve and file a Notice of Appeal within 30 days of the order and/or judgment in landlord-tenant court.

Check with the clerks at the Appellate Term and with the pro se attorney, if there is one, in landlord-tenant court about preparing, serving, and filing the Notice of Appeal, and proceeding with the appeal.

consigliere

Postby lk11723 » Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:54 am

I have never heard of a pro se atty office. If I call the Albany County Clerk's office, is this something they should be able to help me with?
lk11723

Return to NYS General Discussion