TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Cutting off Water Supply?

Moderator: TenantNet

Cutting off Water Supply?

Postby Luna » Thu May 06, 2004 2:16 pm

I live in a mobile home park in Upstate NY. I rent the mobile home I live in. Apparently the owners of the park are going through bankruptcy and are behind in paying bills. As a park resident we pay $240 a month for lot rent. It includes water, trash and snow removal. My neighbors and myself have never been late with this payment. The village that we reside in is saying that the park has not been paying it's water bill and they are going to cut off our water by 6/30 if the bill is not paid. The park manager assures me that everything is fine and he putting a "good faith payment" this week towards the $28K the village claims the park owes in back water bills. He say that everything is in limbo because of the bankruptcy and it will all be taken care of after the case goes through the courts. My questions are - where is all the money we pay for lot rent? And can the village really punish the residents, who have been paying their bills? Is it legal for them to cut off the water supply in NYS to a municipality? This is so unfair-it's like having your car repoed after you pay your bill every month on time! Does anyone know if they can do this to us? Do I have any rights at all?
Luna

Postby sflesch » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

I know this is a few years late, but I believe (and you should REALLY HAVE A LAWYER CONFIRM THIS) that you all can take your entire months rent(s) and pay the water bill if is going to be disconnected. You can do this until it is paid off instead of paying the owner. Again, check with a lawyer.
sflesch

Return to NYS General Discussion