TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

doors are locked

Moderator: TenantNet

doors are locked

Postby norwich » Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:20 pm

HI.
I rented an apt for a few months in the chenango county of upsate NY..I received a notice form the landlord that i owe her 21/2 months rent, which i do..she has a month security for me..I have a lease which will be up next year...Including with the rental of the apt was a laundry room which never had a washer and i used it for storage,as the apt was too small for all of my stuff.Anyway she wanted me to leave or pay her rent, so about 3 weeks ago i started moving out my stuff, not everything was moved from the apt. i took nothing from the storage area, so i called my landlord last week to tell her that i will be moving at the end of the month meaning this month of march, and i will like her to come and walk through the apt to make sure everything was still in good condition and also to make arrangements to pay her for the back rent, so this morning i went to the apt to finish getting some of my belongings and to clean the place up as i hav eto do the walk through with her next saturday, but when i got there the locks were changed and the apt was rented and some of my stuff was place in front of the storage area, the lock on the storage was also changed. is this legal, and she is suing me in small claims court for the back rent..I need my stuff and also somethings from the apt is missing, she said she never saw it..i did not abandon the apt as i went there at least 2 time s a week to check on things and to get my mails from the post office. i couldn't stay there as it was cold and we had no heat or hot water for days at a time, and i have five young children.please help, what can i do, she said her lawyer told her to do it...I wasn't served with any eviction papers or anything, or even if it had a court date the marshall severed me with nothing, is this considered an illegal lockout, the LL is the one that locked the storage and change all the locks . someone please help and advise what i should do ..I got the letter today for the small claims court..she said she will give me my things but i don't trust her, and also some of th ethings is missing from the apt and she is already claiming that she never saw it and all that she got from the apt she said it was left in front of the storage area..I don't know if anything is missing from the storage area as i can't get in there.I am scared to break the lock as it's her lock
norwich

Return to NYS General Discussion