TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need some advice...

Moderator: TenantNet

Need some advice...

Postby broken » Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:22 pm

My wife, and I rented a house in Upstate NY with out 1 year old daughter.

We were told by the landlords that there was a "51 year old woman living upstairs in a very small two bedroom apartment with just her cat." Seemed reasonable enough, so we signed the lease. After we move in...we discover that not only is the 51 year old woman upstairs, but also her 20 something daughter and her young baby. We talked to the LL about it and were told that the daughter would be gone in a couple of weeks. She was looking for an apartment. After 3 weeks the grandmother leaves for a trip to Florida and the daughter's boyfriend moves in. When he comes he also brings a 14 month old child and a 5-6 year old child. We then are told by the LL:
A. The boyfriend isn't supposed to be there...they are making sure he leaves.
B. The older woman isn't coming back from FL.

We complained several times to the LL about the noise and each time it was better for about a day...then it would go back to normal. We were told again that the upstairs tenants would be leaving in a couple of weeks, then at the end of June and now at the end of July.

NOW...there seems to be another couple staying upstairs as well as the other tenants - they are there for about 4 days out of the week...and we think they have a small child as well!!

Obviously this is a rediculous situation and my wife and I want to move out. We have a 1year lease and have only been here since 5/1 so we don't want to get sued for the remainder of the lease agreement...there's just no way we can stay here any longer...

can anyone offer us any advice?!
broken

Return to NYS General Discussion