TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Given 30 day notice- landlord keeping security

Moderator: TenantNet

Given 30 day notice- landlord keeping security

Postby allenlips » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:30 pm

I had many problems in getting my landlord to repair things in the apartment, it took 3 months for him to fix a bathroom ceiling leak only after i hounded him. Also there were issues with very noisy tenants that he just didnt want to deal with. November 12th i was served with 30 day notice. I spoke to him and i was told i had to get out by 12/12. Now i get a letter that they are keeping security because it goes to December rent, eventhough i was OUT 11/28. If this is true why isnt this stated by the landlord or on the 30 day notice??
allenlips

Postby bluegrasslady » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:52 pm

Do you know any lawyers?

I would send him a letter, via regular and certified mail, return receipt requested, stating simply that you were out of the apartment on 11/28 and want your security deposit back; and if you do not receive it, you intend to hire an attorney to proceed with legal action against him. Sometimes just the threat of a suit gets them to move. This is how I got my LL to evict the crazy drug-abusing rap-music-addict next door to me, who played music at all hours of the day and night, literally making my walls vibrate. It took months, though. Hope you have better luck!
bluegrasslady

Return to NYS General Discussion