TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Bed Bugs

Moderator: TenantNet

Bed Bugs

Postby member_tenant » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:51 pm

Moved into the apartment 9 months back. During move in, purchased a used mattress and using it since then.
About 2 months back, found BedBugs in the apartment with maximum concentration near AC Vent (central AC), celing (near AC Vent) and near Sprinklers. The Apt just above me got vacated about 2 - 3 months back.
LL says bug is from my used Mattress. As proof he showed old stains (black spots) on seams of Mattress and made me pay for extermination. LL said if I do not exterminate at my expense using his exterminator, he will make me pay for every apt where he find a bug now or later.
My argument --
1) The apt has a long history of pest infestation. There are lot of comments on apartmentratings.com
2) The mattress have been with me for over 9 months and there were no bugs. Stains might be due to old bug problem which was possibly treated.
3) Bugs started apearing mostly near ceiling since the Apt above me was vacated.
4) It is highly possible that the infestation is from Apt above me.
I have photos of infestation (showing where the concentration is). Also, I got some informal feedback from an entomologist (through a website) who confirmed that had there been bugs in Mattress it would not have waited for 7 months to bite me.
Questions --
1) Do I have a case against LL?
2) Is there an in-expensive way to get a formal opinion of an entomologist?
3) If I send a letter to LL, is he bound to send me details of all pest infestations in the building over last one year?
Any other suggestions on what I need to do. I would not mind if an attorney is willing to help me in return of 100% of the amount. I will do all leg work in small claims court including filing fees and if I win, the attorney may keep the entire amount awarded just for advise.
member_tenant

Re: Bed Bugs

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:21 am

member_tenant wrote:M
3) If I send a letter to LL, is he bound to send me details of all pest infestations in the building over last one year?

Even if the LL is aware of previous infestations in the building it's very unlikely he'd admit it - especially now that you'd admitted you purchased a used mattress. You'd probably to better to ask your neighbors if they're aware of any bedbug problems in the building.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby queensborough » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:49 pm

Never ever buy a used mattress, too risky. Also bedbugs can come into a building many ways, in clothing, suitcases, furniture etc. If you can't afford a new mattress, buy an air mattress with the pump built in for about $100. They are really comfortable, and a better choice than a used mattress.

I think you will have a hard time proving that the infestation is coming from something other than your used mattress since there were stains on your mattress from a prior infestation. I would throw out that mattress before any more exterminating is done.
queensborough

Return to NYS General Discussion