TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord eviciting because they want to move in

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord eviciting because they want to move in

Postby Melody » Tue May 15, 2007 1:56 pm

I rent out a house and the landlords live next door. I have a month-to-month lease and I pay my rent every month. The house has lots of problems, most of which I fix myself, co I complain very little, but now I've been given a hand-written letter to move in 30 days because their full-grown son wants to move in. Can they just do that? They know I don't have any extra money, or any way to move my stuff. Don't I have any rights in this?
Melody

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 15, 2007 2:35 pm

If you were rent regulated, or if you had a longer lease, you might have some (at least temporary) protections. Normally this would be called "personal use" in that the LL's family wants to take occupancy, and if regulated, whil permitted, would take some time to push it through. But here it doesn't even need to be the LL's relative in that you only have a month-to-month lease. However, they must give you adequate and proper notice.

See http://tenant.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5024

What you might be able to do is buy some time in order to find a new place, or negotiate for other things. While they will eventually get you out, some tenants can negotiate a surrender that's easier to handle. (best to have a good lawyer for that)

Depending on the situation, they might be willing to store your furniture for a period of time (although prepare an inventory and take photos of all items).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Eviction

Postby Melody » Tue May 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Thank you for the information.
Melody

Return to NYS General Discussion