TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

New Lease and Rent Increase

Moderator: TenantNet

New Lease and Rent Increase

Postby signpost » Sun May 20, 2007 12:23 am

Hello: I checked the posts under this heading and I scanned the court cases as you suggested, but I didn't see anything, so here goes ...

My 6 month lease (from the previous owner) expired at the end of April. My new landlord accepted my rent check for the month of May, which makes me a month to month tenant.

On May 2nd, I was notified of a hefty rent increase. The increase takes effect on June 1st. On May 17th, an employee of the landlord came around with a new, 1 year lease. The start date is also June 1st.

I can't find any guidelines on these issues. Can you point me in the right direction? Location - Upstate NY.
signpost

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 20, 2007 2:26 am

They have to give you 30 days notice, which with the May 2nd notice and the June 1 effective date, appears not to be the case. So the effective date -- if you wanted to press the issue -- would be july 1.

However understand that not being regulated the LL does not have to offer you a lease at all. He can raise the rent to whatever he wants. He can ask you to go.

So it's a question of judgment. You can hold to the requirements if you choose, but understand the possible consequences. A one-year lease would lock you into a rent without further increases.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby signpost » Sun May 20, 2007 2:43 am

I appreciate your opinion, but exactly where does it say they have to give me 30 days notice?
signpost

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 20, 2007 4:06 am

Look in the forum reference section

TenantNet

Postby signpost » Sun May 20, 2007 1:46 pm

You're asking me to find the facts to back up your opinion?
signpost

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Yes, and report back here.

TenantNet

Postby signpost » Sun May 20, 2007 7:41 pm

I can't find any facts to back up your opinion. You must have been talking through your rectal cavity without realizing it. Maybe it's 2nd nature. Anyway ...

Rather than state with absolute authority (and as if you knew what you were talking about), "They have to give you 30 days notice," why not rephrase it to something like ...

"I think they have to give you 30 days notice, but I don't really have a clue."
signpost

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 20, 2007 7:54 pm

The clue, which we do have, is that you're bounced from the forum for being lazy, for flaming and for acting like a jerk.

TenantNet

Postby cestmoi123 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:52 am

People never cease to amaze me. Sigh.

Fair point of his, though: a lack of research capability on signpost's part is a clear indication of a lack of knowledge on TenantNet's part. ;)
cestmoi123

Postby TenantNet » Mon May 21, 2007 8:05 am

Or maybe lack of knowledge on your part, eh? We pointed Signpost to the Reference section, where the answer lies in the Month-to-Month section.

One reason people ask the same questions time and time again is that they fail to exert even a tiny bit of effort into actually looking for answers.

That's why we set up the reference section, so instead of having to go through the same explanation over and over and over again, people could just point others to the Reference section. It allows posters to actually use their grey matter for research and thinking rather than acting like a dead sponge.

TenantNet

Postby cestmoi123 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:41 am

Sigh - I probably chose the wrong emoticon. Maybe :roll: would have been a better choice: I was being sarcastic. You did absolutely the right thing, and he's a jerk about it. Well, his loss.
cestmoi123

Postby TenantNet » Mon May 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Sorry, didn't notice the emoticon. It's summertime. Moderator flaming allowed.

TenantNet

Postby cachito » Mon May 21, 2007 1:09 pm

Unlike cestmoi123, I checked the Month-to-Month in the forum reference section. There's nothing to back up your claim that "They have to give you 30 days notice."

It appears signpost was correct.
cachito

Postby TenantNet » Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm

No, Cachito didn't check. As one person who emailed me this morning said, "why do you even bother with these jerks, it's not as it you're charging them."

First, for the casual reader, it's at http://tenant.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5024

But Cachito is likely Signpost using a different name. He came in under an IP address assigned to anonymouse.org, a well-known proxy server based in Germany and used a free web-based email account intended to obscure his real email and location. There are hundreds of these. Some are legitimate and some aren't.

TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion