TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

i think my LL's are the Gestapo

Moderator: TenantNet

i think my LL's are the Gestapo

Postby msfishy » Wed May 23, 2007 3:15 pm

wow...i need help!!!
My boyfriend and myself are renting an apartment on long island, and my LL's keep randomly making up new rules. we have no lease, and they will not speak to me, only to my boyfriend (yet the rent checks come from MY checking account!!!).
We pay $1800 dollars a month, and the "rules" are insane. I pay rent on the first of every month by 7pm. They turn off our internet until we pay the rent.

We have a deck that supposedly is ours to use...this is also where the ONLY door to our apartment exists. we were told that we could use the deck at our leisure (they have a huge backyard, and pool that i really have no interest in using). we were told that i could put plants on the deck, and we could have a BBQ, and chairs. I spent over $200 on plants for the deck (i love to garden!!). They waited until i was away to tell my boyfriend that they didnt like my plants, and to get rid of them immediately. Can they really tell me what i can and cannot have on my deck?? Please be aware that the deck DOES NOT face the front of the house, it faces the backyard. They said that the deck was ours to use as we wish. They have their own deck and entire backyard.

They treat us like childeren. They told my boyfriend that apparently he does not have a brain in his head, and he really was not thinking when he purchased our BBQ. It is very large and FABULOUS, and it is not at all crowding our deck...they just don't ike it.

I am also not allowed to feed the birds on our deck.

I would like to some privacy on our deck (or what i think is our deck) i would like to sunbathe without them looking up at me from the backyard...do i have any right to privacy? can i hang something on the inside of the deck so that they cannot see me? i really dont want to associate with them when i am on the deck, i dont want to wave hello to their grandchilderen everytime they yell up at me! i like to relax and enjoy the out-doors and i do not want to associate with others...i just want to enjoy the sunshine, alone.

My boyfriend and i are gone for at least 12 hours a day during the week. we come home to eat dinner and sleep...and do laundry.
I just want to live my life. i feel as if they just want money in their pockets, and for us to be silent.

Do we have any rights at all?!?!?
Please help me...
We just moved in 2/07...i dont want to move all over again :0(
msfishy

Postby queensborough » Thu May 24, 2007 9:49 am

Since you have no lease, unfortunately, they can make up any rules they want at their discretion. Renting without a lease is always risky. It doesn't sound like you will have much peace at this location. They can tell you what you can and cannot have on your deck. How do they turn off your internet? My personal opinion, I would get out of there as fast as I could.
queensborough

Return to NYS General Discussion