TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord asked us to leave

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord asked us to leave

Postby danili28 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:50 pm

i've been living in an apartment for 1year and 8months. my landlor advised me on June 1st that i needed to move out. I was a little shocked at first because when i first moved in he asked how long i planned on living there and i said approx 5years, but i understand that is his right. He spends Oct-May in Florida returning only then. There is no way for me to contact him until then and the rent gets paid to his daughter. Anyway, when he came back in May I asked him if instead of replacing the rug in the living room, if i could put down hardwood floor. He took a week or so to get back to me and say that it was okay. I also asked if i could take down some of the wall paper and paint to which he also agreed. And finally I asked if it was alright for me to create a garden in an area where one had been previously to which he also agreed. So i planted the garden and fertilized and watered. And then I ripped up the rug, cleared the tacks and prepared the floor for the wood floor that i was going to put down. I also started taking down the wallpaper, per his instructions on how to do it. So that's the last week of May that I started the work on the inside of the apartment and he goes and tells me that I have to leave by the end of June. So now i have to find another place, pack and move and I'm wondering if I have to finish the work that i started?
danili28

Postby queensborough » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:12 pm

I'm assuming you have no lease, since you didn't mention one. Should you finish the work in the apartment? If it were me, I wouldn't, and I would take the flowers I planted with me too. I'm just curious, but did he say why he wanted you to move out so suddenly?
queensborough

No way

Postby dealing3000 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:26 pm

I would definitely not finish that work you did. Why in the world would you put more hard work into something that you will get no benefit out of? Did he tell you why he wants you out? I would definitely bring up the subject of your security deposit to make sure he will not hold the fact that there is ongoing work on the apartment as a reason to hold back any $$ you are due back. Definitely get something in writing if you can saying you are not responsible for the lack of a floor (no carpet or wood) and other items that are under construction. Since I assume you don't have a lease he can unfortunately ask you to leave as long as he gives you 30 days notice before the 1st day of your rental period.
dealing3000

Postby danili28 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:00 am

no, there was never a lease. and there is no security deposit. it's always been a month to month thing. I was doing the extra work because i lived there and as far as i was concerned i would be living there for a few more years. the reason he gave as to why i have to leave is that his grandson wants the apartment and he has to help his family. what i believe is the reason is that his daughter and her husband live next door and we all were great friends when i first moved in. since then, some unfortunate circumstances have come about and the friendship has turned mean on her(the LL's daughter) part. she threatened to turn the water off because I didn't pay the bill but she never told me about the bill in the first place (the water in my apartment comes from her house) it was never discussed when i first moved in that i would have to pay for water either. then she has a cesspool problem and doesn't tell me that she has to the water turned off for two days. she then threatened to kick me out because I didn't shovel my driveway when it snowed. I drive an SUV and 2 inches of snow doesn't stop me from being able to get out. i in turn informed her that just because she didn't like me, she couldn't continue to threaten me because that was harrasment and a violation of my tenant rights. Two months later, and now I'm being told to leave
danili28

Yep

Postby dealing3000 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:23 pm

Blood is indeed thicker than water. It sounds like the fracas with your neighbor caused it. There is really nothing you can do on this one. If the LL gives you the proper notice to leave then you should leave. That being said, you can hold over and they would have to go to court to evict you. It does not sound like this is worth it in this case as they will just wait you out and the woman is making your life tough over there.

My suggestion is to use your security deposit as the last month's rent. If you want to teach her what a water bill is, turn the faucets on in your house and let them run for the entire last month you are there, 24 hours a day. When she sees that water bill after you have left she will HIT THE ROOF! :wink:
dealing3000

Postby queensborough » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:10 pm

Since you have no lease, you really have nothing to protect you at all. Month to month tenants are really at the mercy of their LL. Since there is no security deposit, at least you won't have to fight to get it back. Next time, try to find an apartment with a lease, that will at least give you some protection for a set period of time. Don't rent from friends or family, it's too risky.
queensborough

Asked to Leave

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:38 am

Hi All
24 hours a day eh..................LOL Woops my bad :oops:
Emeraldstar

Return to NYS General Discussion