TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Harassed & Humiliated

Moderator: TenantNet

Harassed & Humiliated

Postby Wary In NY » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:10 am

FOr over a year I have been complaining to the management of this building (over 300 units) about the weekend-night dorman - he is usually off somewhere playing with his girlfriend, and not at the door. Often people have had to track him down to get their keys for their cars parked in visitor's parking. he also leaves the lobby door open when he is not there so people can just walk right in. I also have asked my LL to please enforce the lease term that requires carpeting, since the people above me refuse to carpet & they klomp around in hih heels all night long. He has done nothing about the carpets other than saying "there's nothing we can do."
Several weeks ago there was an incident in the building where my guest was blamed for stealing something belonging to another tenant.
It was shown that one of the Doormen (THE DOorman previously complained of) misplaced it - my guest had nothing to do with it(Just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time).
The other tenant apologized to me for my troubles of being blamed, and even sent me a gift to thank me for trying to help (I was searching in the Doorman's area along with the next day's doorman and it was found)for my troubles.
BUT - recently (just after I sent in my lease renewal) the Super saw me & told me that my friend was a thief, and that she has a problem with the Doormen(The specific doorman involved is a relative of the Super). All the Doormen know her & have no problems with her(except that one). But the other day when she came to visit me, a Doorman told her that she was no longer allowed to park her car here in the rear Visitor's parking lot, on Order of the Super. At that point, the tenant who had the problem & previously thanked me, verbally assaulted her for being a thief! Evidently, he was told by the SUper that my friend stole the things.
I have called & written the management, but have received no response. And my friend is now not allowed to park her car here (Parking "on the street" is not only not safe, but it is quite far & she often leaves late at night.) There is a sign by the Doorman's stand that says that my guests, and only my guests, may not park in that visitor's area.

I do not understand why I am being treated this way! Well, I DO know why - Clearly, the Super has it in for me & is trying to make my life here miserable. But his actions have also subjected my freind to humiliation & verbal assault.
But I can find nothing in the lease that would prevent them from doing what they are doing. Oh, yes, the Law of Slander probably prevents the SUper from doing what he is doing, but that means a lawsuit which of course would take years & lots of money. In the meantime, it is now difficult for my friend to visit me.

I'm just not sure what to do here. I do not want to move - I work around the corner, and only just moved here a few years ago. But how can I stay under circumstances like this? And IF I move, I do have 12 months remaining on my lease - so that would cost me a small fortune to get out of the lease.
Wary In NY

New Issues on this - even more unbelieveable

Postby Wary In NY » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:34 am

Yesterday the Management Co. said that the reason my friend may not park in the Guest parking is that she is not really a guest, but is rather a Tenant. I was told that the "RULES & REGULATIONS OF THE BUILDING", which are not in the lease nor posted anywhere - NOR DO THEY EVEN EXiST IN WRITING!!!!!! state that if someone visits more than 2X a week, they are considered tenants, and not guests & thus must park in assigned parking spaces that we have to pay a monthly fee for.

An Unwritten Rule? And This company expects me to abide by this rule?
They KNOw I won't be able to take them to Court - that would be futile(the time & expense). I think they probably have a right to allow or not allow anyone to park there.

But it gets stranger. I was told that she'd have to get a parking space & I was directed to the person who can rent a parking space to us. I contacted that person in the Mgmnt office, but she will not rent a spot because my friend is not on the lease. She must be on the lease. But they will not allow her on the lease.

I feel like this is something from Alice in Wonderland.

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF - Last night the A/C in my bedroom broke! Let's see how long it will take to fix that. I'll be surprised if they "get around to it" before september.
Wary In NY

Why don't you contact MFY legal Services?

Postby cherry » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am

I am so sorry for you living in this environment. I feel you are so worry because the legal fees could be a killer, and I can't blame you for not willing to take legal action. Somebody just recommended me MFY Legal Services, is a non profit organization based in Manhattan, they help tenants who can't afford big legal fees. I was just there and seems the lawyers are compassionate and supportive and very professional. Good luck...
cherry

Return to NYS General Discussion