TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Being re-sued by landlords

Moderator: TenantNet

Being re-sued by landlords

Postby JillS » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:07 am

Hello. I had posted on this site previously when our landlords counterclaimed our lawsuit saying that we hadn't paid last month's rent (untrue) and we did damage to their pool (also untrue). They didnt' show up to court and we won our judgement an theirs was dismissed, as they were not here. That was around October.

We got a notice today -- about 8 months later -- that we are being re-sued by the landlords because they are claiming they were never notified by the court of the previous court date. We suspect that they disregarded it, since they are only up here in NY in the summertime and after summer, move down south for the rest of the year. Now that it's summer again, they are back and ready to sue us again. They postponed the date several times themselves (at the last minute) and then just didn't hear anything about a new date and their lawyer never called to ask? Seems suspect to me. We have taken off from work 3 times because of their suits, postponing, and then not showing (I'm self-employed, so I don't work and I don't get paid). And now they are suing us for different things! Each time they have ammended their suit, there has been more nonsense! This time, they have a carpet cleaner (who is also their realtor and when we lived there offered to clean our carpets for free) who is saying it costed him $1000 to clean cat urine from the carpets! Including the basement carpet, which our cats were never allowed in since some of our friends are highly allergic and we needed space to have them that was "cat free."

Any advice for me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jill
JillS

Return to NYS General Discussion