TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

need sublet tenant advice

Moderator: TenantNet

need sublet tenant advice

Postby Bunnybite » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Last month I broke up with my boyfriend and moved in with some friends. The rent was $500.00 per month (for the small room and ultilities, including internet service that does not work), which I paid the first month in cash and did NOT get a receipt for and then I had to come up with $500.00 security. I was left with the impression from the woman I am renting from that the first month of rent had already been paid by the previous tenant, but she neglected to tell me it was only paid until the 10th of the month. I paid the security deposit and got a receipt for that, which she dated back to the 1st of the month. She wrote on the receipt that I had to give 60 days notice if I wanted to move out, a term that had not been discussed when I moved in, and that the deposit would be returned in full one month from when I moved out of the house.
When I asked her to sign a rental agreement with me stating that the rent was $500.00 per month and that I paid $500.00 in security which would be deposited in an account solely for the purpose of my security deposit and the interest it would collect, she said she could not sign it. I asked her why and she proceeded to tell me she was not the landlady in fact, but she was subletting the room to me, another fact that had not been previously discussed before I gave her my money and moved into the house.

I had said I did not want my ex to be around the house and I was not planning on further contact with him when I first moved into the house. However, things changed and I began seeing the man again. Things have worked out for the best between us. I had been spending less time at the house and more time with my beau. I came home to help the woman who was renting my room to me and another tenant, a friend, move a box mattress from my room to hers. My boyfriend had driven me over to the house and a letter from his grandmother was in my doorjamb, addressed to my care. When I came into the house, neither woman would speak to me. I went to gather my mail and they asked why my boyfriend was outside. Why had I bought him there? I had violated their trust and they wanted an explanation. I said calmly that I could bring whoever I desired into my living space, I am grown woman. I apologized for hurting their feelings but offered no explanation to them. They asked what made me think that the "term" of not having my boyfriend over the house was negotiable. I said I had not signed anything to that effect, in fact, I never signed a lease or rental agreement. I asked them if they wanted me to move out. They kept harranguing me and so I gave my two months notice. I was treated to a vicious and uncalled for phone call by the other tenant after I left.

My question is this: If I do not have a signed lease with the woman subletting the space to me, how bound to her am I to keep giving her money? Can I tell her to keep my security deposit as rent and just leave? She wrote 60 days notice on the security deposit receipt, but it does not bear my signature. I would appreciate any help people can offer me here. I want to know if I just made an uninformed decision that I'll have to put up with for two months or if I can expiate myself from the situation immediately. Thank you.
Bunnybite

Postby Chimera » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:25 pm

You did not agree to give 60 days notice, in writing or otherwise, so you are not bound to it. She can write whatever she wants on a receipt, but if you haven't agreed to it she can't hold you to it.
Chimera

Return to NYS General Discussion