TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease question

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease question

Postby esmyarse » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:01 pm

I live in a condo in Westchester County. Recently the condo board has determined that the energy charges for the building has risen too much and implemented an "Energy Surcharge" for each unit. This is calculated based on the square footage for the unit. My landlord's lawyer is trying to pass this cost to me citing my lease, which says: "Tenant is responsible for paying all electric, gas, telephone and any other utilities allocated to the Unit." Up until this point I have been sent a copy of the bill that landlord gets that includes Maintenance and Electric line items and I paid only the Electric portion.

I contend that this is really just an increase in the maintenance and am not responsible for this surcharge. In no way did I think when I signed the lease that they can split off the energy portion of the Maintenance cost and pass it on to me because it's being "allocated to the unit." I believed that the lease meant that I pay for electric, gas, telephone and utilities that is used within the unit.

What should my plan of action be?
esmyarse

Return to NYS General Discussion