TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Refusal to return deposit

Moderator: TenantNet

Refusal to return deposit

Postby jsandor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:13 pm

I recently moved out of my house (rented two apartments totally one full house). Both apartments of the house received rent and last month when i moved in. I moved out of the top floor apartment, cleaned it before the new tenants moved in, the landlord mentioned no large deposit issues. New tenants moved into the lower apartment before i really had a chance to get to much cleaning done, and found they did much of the cleaning. Neither apartment was painted when i moved, nor were in any real good condition. As such i did not paint either of them.

My landlord has yet to return my phone calls, and its coming up on well over half a month since i left the apartments, on top of that from talking to the new tenants upstairs, he informed them(not me) that he wasn't returning any of my deposit.

I was curious to what steps i need to take to ensure i receive my deposit back? And if there is a time limit to when he is required to contact me about my deposit after leaving the apartment?
jsandor

Landlord

Postby dealing3000 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:31 am

The landlord has 30 days to return your deposit from the day you hand back possession of the apartment(s). If the landlord decides to give you nothing back my suggestion would be to file in small claims court. The landlord will be forced to justify any and all expenses incurred. I hope you took pictures of the place before you left. If you don't have this then it can get into a he said - she said type scenario. Either way if the landlord tries to say that things were changed like painted or replaced maybe you can get back into the apartments to take pictures of the place (offer cash - free dinner, etc). If everything is the same and the landlord tries to say that they improved the property you will have pics refuting this in court. The judge will of course go ballistic at these lies. This might work in your favor.
dealing3000

Return to NYS General Discussion