TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need to terminate lease, buying a home but lease is vague

Moderator: TenantNet

Need to terminate lease, buying a home but lease is vague

Postby enforcerusaf » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 pm

My lease does not say wether I can or not terminate early. Does not disclose any early termination penalties and only states I need to give at least 30 days notice if not intending to renew. Our lease expires in January 08.

Previous property managers stated we just needed proof of purchase and they would let us out of lease. Now we have a new owner and property manager and new rules. aka home purchase clause.

We spoke to several of our neighbors that have lived here for several years and they were suprised to hear that and was new to them.

The new management wants 1 months rent plus loss of security deposit.

Thanks for any advice.
enforcerusaf

Postby cestmoi123 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:54 am

1. If there's no lease break right in the lease, then there's no assumption of any right to break the lease.

2. Depending on where this is in NY State, the landlord may or may not be required to try to find a new tenant once you leave - in some places, he could just let the place sit empty, and demand the rent from you.

3. One month + security deposit seems rather high, given how little time is left on the lease - assuming you mean the lease ends on 1/31/08, you're essentially paying a 2 month penalty (month+sec dep), so, if you plan to move out after the beginning of November, you might as well not break the lease and keep the apt, even if you're not living there, since you're effectively paying for December and January anyway.
cestmoi123

Return to NYS General Discussion