TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Roof Leak damage

Moderator: TenantNet

Roof Leak damage

Postby jgjh151 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:13 pm

I have a few law/real estate questions I was wondering if you could help me with or refer me to where I can find the answer.

My friend moved into an apartment (2nd floor of a 2 family) 3 months ago with a 1 year lease signed. 2 Weeks ago a whole appeared in one of the bedroom walls due to water leaking. Today parts of other walls and areas of the ceiling drywall have fallen due to water leaking from the roof. Several personal belongings have been damaged now due to the leaking water. The landlord has been notified and said he couldn't do anything today, but did not say when it would be taken care of. There are 3 children living in this apartment and it has become clear that is may not be safe for them to stay in there with parts of the drywall falling.

I am wondering, does the landlord have a set amount of time that this must be repaired?

Do you know any options my friend has at this point, such as rent reduction or getting out of this lease.

My friend didn't purchase renter's insurance yet, so can the damaged personal items be claimed on the landlord's insurance?

This is in Greene County NY.

Thank you
jgjh151

Return to NYS General Discussion