TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord too involved in personal space

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord too involved in personal space

Postby ALTNNY » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:08 pm

My family and I have been living in a two family home for a little over a year, in Nassau county. Part of that year I have been working and part I have stayed at home with my kids. I will be going back to work soon and begun interviewing babysitter/nannies (live out) to watch my children while I'm at work. Since my landlord lives in the apartment above us I told him this information so he will not get suspious when someone he doesn't know is coming in and out of the house. When I told my landlord he acted as if there was a problem and then stated I needed to give him the information of who ever I have watch my children so he could do a background check. He also acted as though he did not want anyone to be coming in the house. I thought he was over stepping his line as a landlord and this is not the first time. So my question is can my landlord prevent me from having someone watch my kids and an apartment that I rent from him?
Also I am beginning to think the apartment we rent may not be legal although he presented it as such before he had us sign a lease. How do I find out if my apartment is legal or not? And what are my rights if it is not?
We will not be renewing the lease agreement, do we have to tell the LL in a certain amount of time?
Thank you for your response.
ALTNNY

Postby cestmoi123 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:20 pm

1. You can have any nanny you want. LL has no right to block her.
2. As to whether apt is legal, you need to check the Certificate of Occupancy for the building, and see how many units are listed. Why do you think it might not be legal?
3. If you have a lease (i.e. 1 year), you don't need to provide any notification if you plan to leave at the end of the lease.
cestmoi123

Postby ALTNNY » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think he had a right to prevent me from having a nanny or request their information.
I live on the bottom floor (or main floor) of a house which has one apartment upstair which is occupied by the landlord. I think it may be illegal because once the landlord made mention of not wanting to getting in trouble with the town in which we live and if someone was to come by from our town just say he is not there. He also did not want us to put any of the utilites or cable in our name even though we have to pay for it. He stated that he has two seperate meters however he only gave of a copy of the bill he printed off the internet a couple of times and there was no indication that there was two seperate meters.
ALTNNY

Postby Monipenny » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Even though you don't need to notify landlord of your intention to not renew, what you will need to do when you are planning on moving is give him a written 30 day notice to vacate. Landlord has no right to prevent you from hiring a baby sitter for your children so long as it is not a live in nanny, if you are hiring a live in nanny, check your lease and see what it says about extra visitors and any applicable fees.
Monipenny

Postby cestmoi123 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:06 am

Monipenny, your advice is inaccurate.

1. A lease ends when it ends. No notice is required.
2. In NYC (not NY State, but only in NYC), no notice is required from the tenant to end a month-to-month tenancy. The landlord needs to give 30 days to end an MTM tenancy, but the tenant doesn't.
cestmoi123

Postby Monipenny » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:21 am

I didn't say that tenant has to give notice to end a lease, I said tenant needs to give a 30 day notice to vacate. So, your saying a tenant in NYC can move out without ever notifying the landlord? That makes no sense to me, and I have never heard that a tenant is not required to give a 30 day notice to move.
Monipenny

Postby TenantNet » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Well. welcome to NYC.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby cestmoi123 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:33 am

That's exactly what I'm saying, and that's the law in NYC. The fact that you didn't know it makes it no less true. It's very unusual, but just about everything about NYC rent laws is.
cestmoi123

Postby Monipenny » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:04 am

You guys are so stupid, you wouldn't know the law if it smacked you in the face. THERE IS NO SUCH LAW THERE OR ANYWHERE. HOWEVER, NO TENANT HAS TO GIVE A 30 DAY WRITTEN NOTICE TO MOVE, BUT THEY LOSE THEIR DEPOSIT IF THEY DON'T. WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ADVICE ARE YOU GIVING THESE TENANTS? ADVICE THAT WILL LATER SCREW THEM? THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU MORONS ARE DOING. WHY DON'T YOU STUPIDS HIRE A NY CITY LAWYER TO SIT HERE AND GIVE LEGAL ADVISE, IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR FELLOW TENANTS. AND FURTHER, NOTICE THAT THE ORIGINAL POSTER SAID, "I AM ON A LEASE" ONE OF YOUR DUMMY TENANTS SAID MY ADVICE WAS WRONG, HOW IS HER LEASE ALL OF A SUDDEN A MONTH TO MONTH? AND HOW THE HELL DID SHE GO FROM LONG ISLAND TO NY CITY. SHIT, YOU GUYS ARE SO DUMB.
YEAH, GO AHEAD STUPID TENANT, REMOVE THIS POST AS YOU ALWAYS DO WHEN SOMEONE CORRECTS YOU OR MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE DUMB-ASSES. YOU SHITHEADS DON'T WANT TENANTS HAVING A GOOD TENANCY WITH THEIR LANDLORDS. YOU SCREW UP, TRASH THE PLACE AND DON'T PAY YOUR RENT AND ALL OF A SUDDEN LANDLORDS ARE THE BAD GUYS.
THE FACT THAT YOU MAKE UP A LAW, DOESN'T MAKE IT EXIST.
WHY DON'T YOU GUYS GET A REAL JOB AND STOP CRYING THE TALE OF WOES, IF YOU HATE LANDLORDS THAT MUCH, BUY A HOUSE.
Monipenny

Postby TenantNet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:29 am

This is the sort of nonsense and vitriol that's inappropriate for this board (not to mention the use of ALL CAPS). He's also wrong on the law and maybe he should read the reference section where this issue is addressed.

What this jerk seems to be doing is distinguishing between the right to move out (which anyone can do at anytime and without any notice whatsoever*) and a tenant's obligation to pay rent for the remainder of the tenancy whether or not they are still actually living there. Note ... a tenant can still have legal possession of an apartment even if it's empty and no one is there.

He says a tenant will lose his/her deposit if they don't give a 30-day notice. Wrong. If a tenant is on the lease, then the lease is over when it's over. No advance notice required by either party.

If a tenant is month-to-month, the law requires a LL to give notice to terminate a tenancy (if in NYC), but not the tenant. If in NYS (but not in NYC) then either party must give notice.

* a tenant might need to inform the LL to arrange for an elevator in some buildings and might be restricted to moving during certain hours of the day.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby queensborough » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:55 pm

It's pretty obvious by the answers Monipenny gives that he or she is not a tenant. Not that LL's are forbidden here by TN, but don't trash the tenants that come here looking for help.
queensborough

Notice

Postby Emeraldstar » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi All
For the sake of the OP it's obvious that no notice is required. However, I suggest you may want to take pics of the apt. prior to leaving so nothing can be said about damages. The LL sounds shady so they may try to pull a fast one with your security dep.
Monipenny, for shame :roll: If this is the kind of communication to be found on the LL site you extoll the virtues of, you shame them too.
Emeraldstar

Postby cestmoi123 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:53 am

Why not ban this user? The combination of bile and ignorance adds no value.
cestmoi123

Postby jkgal » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:44 am

contrasts are often enlightening.
jkgal

Postby lynnc123 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:14 pm

I know that the last post was a few weeks ago but I was extremely surprised to find that month-to-month tenant laws are so much in my favor. If anyone happened to see my other post under non-rent regulated tenants, I am a MTM tenant and I gave my landlord about 20 days notice that I'm moving out. Now he's trying to take my security deposit.

So - sorry if I'm repeating or being redundant - just to make 100% sure, my landlord is in the WRONG saying that he gets to claim all my security deposit simply because I didn't give him 30 full days notice?
So, as an MTM tenant living IN NYC, I get to move out this way and claim my deposit back (provided I take pictures to prove there were no damages, which there were not?)
If this is true then perhaps this means I don't even have to get him with my "plan B" which is that he commingled funds, depositing all our security deposit monies into his personal account (proof of which is on cancelled check images on my online banking system).

Thank you if anybody could just quickly clarify for me! Thanks and this site has been very helpful so far with my various troubles!
lynnc123

Next

Return to NYS General Discussion