TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord too involved in personal space

Moderator: TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:18 pm

Did you read the applicable article in the reference section?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby lynnc123 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Yes - I read the section on month to month tenants in NY. It's just a bit silent on the requirements of a month to month tenant in NYC concerning notification from tenant to landlord of intention to leave. By this I would assume that it means there are no requirements, but I just wanted to make sure I'm covered on all sides and that I'm entitled to my security deposit back minus damages - again it wasn't specifically stipulated in the article, either that or I misunderstood.

In addition, Landlord's claim is that in the lease, it is written that 30 days notice is required or we forfeit security deposit. Funny thing is that I never saw nor signed a written lease, neither did the landlord say anything about this requirement at the time of signing. Our agreement has always been verbal. A few months ago he did slip a letter under my door saying that he was going to raise my rent, and if I decided I wanted to leave instead of pay more, to give him 30 days notice. I never officially acknowledged receipt of this letter, instead choosing to find another place without these continuous problems. I'm thinking that he can't hold me to these requirements of his as I never agreed to them, verbally or in writing, and if they aren't upheld by NYC law, then basically he has nothing against me - right?

Thanks again...
lynnc123

Postby ALTNNY » Fri May 16, 2008 8:01 am

Thanks for all who replied..Now my list is up in 2 weeks and the landlord just sent a letter saying that he will not be renewing the lease (i didn't want to anyway) but it will switch to month to month after it expires..but he states that I must give him a thirty day notice if I do not want to do month to month, he basically said I have to pay for June..He can't do that right? There was nothing in the lease about given a notice to move out at the end of the lease. Then on top of that he just gave me that letter on May 14th, my lease ends May 31.
ALTNNY

Postby TenantNet » Fri May 16, 2008 9:28 am

TenantNet

Postby cestmoi123 » Fri May 16, 2008 1:24 pm

To be clear, you have a lease that ends on 5/31, right? So long as you're out of the apt by midnight on 5/31, you're done, you have no obligation.
cestmoi123

Postby TenantNet » Fri May 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Cest Moi, look at where he lives.

TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Sat May 17, 2008 8:12 am

I guess CestMoi didn't understand. Your post say you're in Long Island, so NYC rules don't apply. Look at the reference link I gave you. Outside of NYC you do have a 30-day notice requirement.

TenantNet

Postby ALTNNY » Sun May 18, 2008 6:11 pm

Even though I am not month to month? I had a year lease and it is about to expire so I still need to give 30 day notice of not renewal, which he never offered in the first place?
ALTNNY

Previous

Return to NYS General Discussion