TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

my LL came into my apt and grab me and shoved me down hall

Moderator: TenantNet

my LL came into my apt and grab me and shoved me down hall

Postby sweety0514 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:55 am

the LL wife has a habit of entering the house I rent (usually at night) without ringing bell and wanders around downstairs. I have never missed a months rent. She and her husband are in the middle of a divorce and she came by the house and broke down the side apt. door with a hammer. (that is not the part I rent) I called the police just to let them know it was LL's wife and not a burglary. Three days later she came by in the morning and gave the contractors (that her husband hired) a hard time and told them not to fix the door. Later that day she barges into my apt. and when I told her she couldn't come in without ringing the bell she attacked me by grabbing me and shoving me down my hall, I was yelling get out and my daughter came down the stairs screaming get off my mother I called the police. She left. The contractor and my mom in the wheelchair who lives with me were all witnesses. The police said I can do a civilians arrest.for harressment (they said in NY it is only battery if I was severly injured) She came back after the police left. I had the police come back, and did the civilans arrest and next day I got a order of protection. In Oct. she only gave me a 2month lease saying that she was going to get a better one put together in Jan. Now She is going to evict me. I have 3 children (22, 13, 10) and my mother who is in a wheelchair) Also I am resposible for the heat and electricity. We have seperate electric meters from the side apt. but some of that apt. is running off my meter and the side apts heat runs completely off my meter. I live in suffolk county (Coram) and have been here almost 3 years. What can I do? and how long will I have to try and find a place I can afford that will have enough rooms My current rent is only $2000/mo
sweety0514

Postby TenantNet » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:09 pm

First, the police are wrong at times. This sounds like you can file for assault and trespass, both criminal. I would check with a lawyer though.

If your meter is helping to run power outside your apartment, then get in touch with your electrical provider.

See who actually owns the house. If it's in the LLs name (not the wife), then the issues are with the LL, not the wife no matter what she says. I would deal with him instead of her ... unless he's also crazy.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby sweety0514 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:06 pm

unfortunately they both own the house. When I spoke to him he said he's afraid she will physically hurt him and his lawyer said not to provoke her. He said he cant help me because that will set her off.
sweety0514

Agressive LL

Postby Emeraldstar » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi All
I would install a nany cam ASAP. The point being to record should she threaten or assault you/family. Don't communicate directly with her. I would change all locks. This may sound dramatic, but also ensure your windows are secure, your dealing with a distraught person. She might demand keys but since you have an order of protection it may justify a refusal temporarly untill you move. Let it be her problem to go to court about the locks, hopefully you will have found another apt before that. She might be responsiable for your moving costs since her violence is the direct cause. Consult with an attorney not only for the move but re: the concerns she has inflicted on your family.
And by all means, should she come within an inch of violating your order call 911 immediatly! I would keep a copy of the order on your person at all times and a fully charged cell phone. I wish you the best of luck and strongly urge you to search for another residence quickly.
Emeraldstar

Return to NYS General Discussion