TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help!! 3 Day Eviction?

Moderator: TenantNet

Help!! 3 Day Eviction?

Postby wildkitten1982 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 pm

I just received a notice from my LL saying they are evicting me for back rent.... they want me out by the first of June!!! Idk if I can find a place that quick! I have two small children.. I moved in here 2 years ago with my now ex b/f... he moved out in November (with out notice) and left me high and dry... I live in Broome county.... please any help... Idk can they really only give me a few days to move?!
Last edited by wildkitten1982 on Mon May 18, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildkitten1982

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 27, 2008 11:01 pm

What exactly did you receive? Was it a court document, or an actual eviction notice? No eviction can take place without a court order.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby wildkitten1982 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:12 pm

It was a notice to tenant saying to pay the back rent by that monday....(i've been going nutts trying to find a new place, have not been online much) I have apartments that I can rent as of July first but none for now.... I am freaking out the landlord comes by daily asking when I will be out... as i told him I can't find a place so quickly.... he said he is contacting his lawyer...... My cousin said that they can evict me in a few days..... is that true?? I live in binghamton ny....
Last edited by wildkitten1982 on Mon May 18, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildkitten1982

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:21 pm

We don't know about Binghampton, but certain laws are statewide. They can't evict without a court order. Generally the court process could take -- even if speedy -- a few weeks. Depending on the county, it might take longer.

Look at our court section (link above). It's not exactly how you will find it upstate, but it give you an idea of the process. They have to give you the demand letter, which apparently has been done. Then they have to serve you with Court papers (Petition and Notice of Petition). Usually there's a week or so for you to put in your answer. There might be an adjournment.

Plus if it's your intent to move, perhaps the LL might not go to the effort and expense to go to court knowing you will be out by July 1. Perhaps you could negotiate with them.

First thing, get calm, Let him contact the lawyer. WHy don't you talk to a lawyer.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion