TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security Deposit

Moderator: TenantNet

Security Deposit

Postby ageorge » Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 pm

When I moved out of an apartment after living there for two years, my landlord did not return my security deposit or provide me with any list of damages. (I am sure there were none.) I have since spent about two years trying to get the money back from him Originally, he would just hang up the phone when I called and not reply to my mail. The Attorney General was also unable to get a response from him. Finally, I filed against him in small claims court. A week or so later, I called him and he took my call. He said he needed to investigate the issue and after calling him a few more times, two weeks later he told me he had called his bank and gotten a copy of a money order he claims was sent to me when I moved out. He says this money order was cashed. I am sure I never received it and I suspect, after all this, that he is not telling the truth. I have a few questions:

Are there any rules about in what form he has to return the deposit to me? (Is a money order OK?) If so, what is to prevent landlords from paying by money order and cashing it themselves?

Is it still true that I can ask for double my security deposit back after 30 days?

Does anyone have any other advice for how to proceed with him before court or once I get there?
Thanks.
ageorge

Return to NYS General Discussion