TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security forfeiture and additional amount due?

Moderator: TenantNet

Security forfeiture and additional amount due?

Postby bambi08 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:09 pm

I rented an apartment in October of 2006, Signed a 1 year lease. Shortly after moving in I had problems with the cold water. It would completely shut off on me and I would get scalded in the shower. I reported it to Management. I also had my water pipes freeze during the winter (on 5 occasions) and not have any water. There were numerous other problems also. All were reported to managament.

They place was up for sale and the maintenance department was told not to spend any money on repairs. They did what they could but nothing was fixed. When the place did sell I received a new lease from the new company (a letter of intent to renew in July 2007) I wrote them a letter stating that I felt the increase was unjust as I was living in a substandard apartment. I told them if the repairs were made, at that time I would sign the lease. They made numerous repairs over the next few months. Water was never quite right but I could live with it.

Then they started to repair other things in the complex. The were ripping off lower patios and painting the uppers. They sent workers to move the stuff off our patios with the understanding that the work was going to be done shortly. My stuff sat in the field behind my apt for 3 weeks and some of it dissappeared and the rest was ruined. Then they were going to replace the windows. They told us to move all our belongings 3 feet away from each window as they were coming in on January 7th. I came home from work and nothing had been done. Not even a notice to tenants. When they did finally come 2 weeks later. they totally destroyed my apartment. The plants were thrown and broken, my computer was on the floor, my cable modem cable was all twisted up in chair legs, etc, etc. I had had enough with this place. I started looking for a new place.

I almost forgot the gas leak. One night I came home and smelled strong natural gas. I went outside to call National Grid (didn't want to turn any lights on). They came immediately. Turns out it was a bad hose from the stove. National Grid told me to call the maintenance department and tell them to bring over a certain size fitting. I attempted this but the Maintenance guys phone kept going dead. When I finally could maintain contact with him I told him he needs a better phone. The whole time National Grid is waiting and telling me they would have to red tag the apt if maintenance didn't get there. When the maintenance worker got there he walked up to me and three inches from my face started to yell at me that I better not tell him how to do his job and he's been doing this for 7 years and on and on. I told him to remove himself from my apt or I would have him arrested.

So at this point I want to move desperatley and finally find a place. I give notice on February 27 at 4 am (I am on my way to the airport for a trip). I stick the letter in the Management office mail slot. Tell them I am vacating as of March 31 and they can use my security as Marchs rent.

NOW I am getting letters from them staing that my security was forfeited as per the lease (which I do not have) and I owe them 800.00 rent. I have called the office twice and she keeps telling me that she'll call me back to explain why and she has not done so yet. It's been 3 weeks since my first call and 1.5 since my 2nd call. I just got another letter in the mail stating that they are going to take legal action. I do not know what to do at this point.

I do want to warn everyone about Morgan Management. They are bad!!!!
bambi08

Return to NYS General Discussion