TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord charges excessive damages via security deposit

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord charges excessive damages via security deposit

Postby igoa » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 am

Please advise if this is usual?

I recently moved out from my White Plains rented apartment (overseas). I moved out in April and lived in the apartment for over 2 years (overall 7 years in the building). I received new carpet in the latest apartment before I moved in (it was in bad condition). i have had 3 cats in the apartment (even though regulation says no pets - but landlord was aware).

When I left on March 30th, there was damage to the carpet by the bedroom door (lets say about 15 inches by 15 inches. I communicated with the landlord several times since my departure overseas to inquire about status of security deposit. the landlord never mentioned anything of damages during these emails. Finally, i received the security deposit and i was astonished that the landlord changed the carpeting AND padding in the entire apartment and billed me at 80% of the bill - totaling $1,328.00.

There was no explanation for the bill and while I understand I should pay for the carpet damage I find this excessive. I am making further inquiries with the landlord as to why the entire apartment was changed (and why I am paying for padding???) but i am giving the cold shoulder. I am overseas now and obviously feel i am being taken advantage of. Should i report this to housing? go to a laywer or is this in line with common landlord practise?
igoa

Return to NYS General Discussion