TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

appartment was condemned

Moderator: TenantNet

appartment was condemned

Postby Twitter » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm

I was renting an apartment in a building that had 3 different apartments in in. My family and I (my husband, 3 children and myself) lived there for just about a year. We came home one day from shopping to find raw sewage all over the floor. We called the landlord he came over 2 weeks later to clear a blockage, never checking the septic tank to see if it was full. I hadn't been emptied the whole time we had lived there. About 3 days later my sister was there visiting us and she went to walk into the bathroom to find it had happened again. She proceeded to call the Orleans County code enforcement officer and she contacted the landlord. 2 weeks after that the septic was still not fixed so she called another county agency and had then come check the tank and the leach lines. She proceeded to fill out the paper work and condemn our apartment. We had to stay in a hotel room and after a month of the bill we were forced to find a new apartment. We were allowed in to collect our belongings that were not damaged we packed for a few days. We would get the kids on the bus there in the morning due to school, waiting in the car till the bus arrived, then they would get dropped off and go to the neighbors till we were done for the night. after 3 days of that the code enforcement officer showed up and told us we needed to vacate. We asked why and she stated that she was told we were living there. We had receipts from the motel and everything to prove we weren't. the proof didn't matter, we were charged with some code violation i still don't understand and were not permitted back on the property without the landlord present. My main issue is not the fact that he didn't fix the septic problem but the fact that when we called to get our belongings he wouldn't answer the phone and refused to call us back. Since he has burned or brought our belongings to the county dump. He never gave us notice that he was doing it. Is it legal for him to do that? and if not what can we do about it? any reply would be helpful. Thank you.
Twitter

Return to NYS General Discussion