TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Non-stop Repair and Renovation

Moderator: TenantNet

Non-stop Repair and Renovation

Postby nohname » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Ever since I moved into this private house (3 months ago) the landlord has made non-stop renovation: painting outside the house, gutter change, tree trimming, repavement of driveway. What really infuriates me is that she refuses to give me date when all of these will be done and when it will end - no schedule.
In addition, she is on the backyard and front yard almost everyday doing gardening. She said we rented the house and has access of the yard only. She is also in the basement all the time.
I have asked numerous time for a schedule but she said she doesn't need to inform me.
I feel harrassed. What can I do!!!!
nohname

Postby TenantNet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 pm

We see a lot of craziness on this forum, but in all honesty, even though you may feel harassed, this is not harassment. Some might say she's properly maintaining the place.

Nevertheless, it bothers you. She probably has no obligation to give you a schedule on outside repairs, but if you rented the entire house (look at your lease), then she does have to give notice on any entry to the inside.

You could change the locks, which would get her attention. But before that I would suggest you explain it to her how all the work makes you feel violated.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Private home

Postby dealing3000 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:55 pm

When you rent a private home you should have reasonable expectations of privacy. I would say that at the very least she is breaking those expectations. I do not think this is harassment either as it sounds like she is just maintaining the place. She may want to see that you are treating her house properly (who knows). I would have a frank discussion with her about what you expected when you rented the place. If she continues to refuse to come to an agreement on when this will all end I would say you should look into moving or at least start to put some cardboard boxes around when she is there. Maybe she will get the hint. Change the lock to the basement if you rented the entire house. IT is yours now.
dealing3000

Return to NYS General Discussion