TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

rights of tenant w/o lease, advice sought

Moderator: TenantNet

rights of tenant w/o lease, advice sought

Postby cafmedusa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:59 pm

I have been illegally subletting from a tenant who does not intend to return. She originally had a lease, but it expired before I moved in and the landlord never asked her to renew it. I want to stay in the apartment. I have been paying the full rent on time since January in checks with my name on them and the LL has been cashing them. In July I received a new lease made out to the old tenant's name, which included a rent increase. I am trying to decide what to do. My own research seems to suggest that it is more difficult for a LL to legally evict a T without a lease, as this must be done through the Supreme Court and not Housing Court. So my inclination is to ignore the lease (which btw as far as I can ascertain is full of illegal clauses and riders) and simply start paying the increased amount. I'm wagering that if he continues to get the rent he desires on time, it won't be worth the hassle and expense for him to try to evict me. He's a professional LL, owns many buildings, and is all about the money. Any advice?
cafmedusa

Return to NYS General Discussion