TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help, Landlord has recieved his own holdover notice today!

Moderator: TenantNet

Help, Landlord has recieved his own holdover notice today!

Postby brianmosher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Had suspicions things were bad form him, but hadn't heard anything solid until today. He even begged me to stay on this month when I was all set to move.

The house was forclosed on and sold may 1st, I paid my first months rent and sec. on the 8th.

a ten day notice to vacate was exhibited on 7/23, and none of the tenants saw it.

What can I expect?
Are we soon to be given eviction notices? the hearing date is monday the 15th... could we be booted out that day? I'm freaking out a little here - from what I understand these apartments weren't recognized as legal, auxillary apartments.

Thanks for your time.
brianmosher

Postby lofter1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Do you have a lease?
lofter1

Postby brianmosher » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 am

nope... month to month... I have all receipts. the tenants that have been working on the place have an informal written contract that stipulates the money and man hours they've put into it will be paid in months of rent.

they have one baby and twins on the way in a couple moths.

I can't believe the landlord... they've got to have a special place in hell who would lie like this to an expectant mother of twins.
brianmosher

Postby brianmosher » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:01 pm

My landlord was just arrested for fraud, perpatrated on 18 different people, who he scammed out of their deposits on craigslist. Our group of tenants banded together and set him up for the arrest, upon learning of the scam and the fact that he had warrants related to our problems. Our local code enforcement officer stopped by telling us to show up at his hearing date on his holdover notice, both to speak for our plight to the judge, and to speak to the lawyer for the new property owner...

Hopefully, this will give us some latitude in our time needed to find new places to live, and we'll have a month or two to get things situated.

Even with the general lack of respose here, I thought I'd fill you in on the relatively good news, in case someone else ends up in a similar situation. Maybe they'll end up with the hope that I didn't have. :thumbleft:

PS... If you live in the NY metro area, or NJ, where his other residence seems to be, stay away from Vincent D. Allura if he somehow avoids jail.
brianmosher

Postby TenantNet » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 pm

You say he's been arrested. Has he been convicted? If so and when, please post here. Or post some news reports or something to support the assertions. Once in a while we get a LL with their dander up about these posts, so better to support what you've said with some facts.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby brianmosher » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 am

he was just arrested yesterday, I'll repost with news as it occurs.
brianmosher

Postby brianmosher » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:21 pm

by the way, you don't have to worry much about his dander... he's pretty much bald.
brianmosher

Return to NYS General Discussion