TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Mis-informed about carpet requirement

Moderator: TenantNet

Mis-informed about carpet requirement

Postby ceci7lia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi, I live in Westchester County and before I moved into my apartment, the super, who showed me the unit, told me that wall-to-wall was required. It seemed to make sense to me, since the framework for wall-to-wall was on the floor (glued wooden slats). So I went and spent a mint getting wall-to-wall installed pre-move-in, and then I find out it was not required by the lease or management or anyone else!

I think the super didn't want to bother ripping up the glued slats.

Does anyone know if I have a case to get reimbursed for the cost of the carpet? I have a witness to what the super said (my mother). I know I should not have taken the super's word, but that's what I did and am now out almost 2 grand (large apartment).

Thanks!
ceci7lia

Additional information

Postby ceci7lia » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:16 am

When I viewed the apartment, the floor was covered with plastic and padding. You could not tell it was hardwood. I asked him, is this subflooring then? and he said "yes" (this may have been because of the language barrier, but the result is a $2000 expense!).

I later visited a neighbor's apartment and saw that the floors are hardwood. I called the building management and they said - absolutely not, you only had to make sure you covered the floors and the person who answered the phone said she was sorry I was given this information by the super. She said, I can of course, take the wall-to-wall with me when I leave. Gee, thanks alot!

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me whether this warrants a small claims case. Thanks!
ceci7lia

Return to NYS General Discussion