TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sue the landlord for rent on Illegal apartment?

Moderator: TenantNet

Sue the landlord for rent on Illegal apartment?

Postby CrossStealth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Hello Ive been living at my current address on Long Island for only about 3 months I will be leaving on January 1st 2009. My landlord has been intolerable telling me the mailman would not like it if I had my own mailbox. Missing mail Banging and loud music all hours of the night 2am, 6am, 8am. Screaming at me when I bring these things up. Trying to force me to allow other people in my apartment against my wishes to see the apartment. I have a verbal month to month lease, nothing signed, nothing written. The first month the kitchen sink had no hot water drafty windows. The list seems to go on. Anyway I had a tracked package sent to my house and a note was left on the second and was taken off the door or out of the mail. I had confronted her about this package and she denied everything. I called the town and found out its an illegal apartment and I can schedule an inspector to come here on Monday the 22nd if necessary. I was told by a captain in corrections/Landlord that if its Illegal then I can sue for my rent and security that I had spent during my shot stay here. Ive also heard that that's untrue. Can someone tell me Legally which is true? If you have some kind of document it would be very helpful. Thank you for your help.

P.S. - I live in Suffolk County
CrossStealth

Postby bluegrasslady » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Sounds like you need to find a lawyer to answer those questions.
Do you really want to spend a lot of money trying to recoup what you've put out, perhaps only to break even, or do you just want to move out?

If you want to get them back, certainly, reporting their illegal apt. will get them in trouble and reduce their income (at least until they rent again).
bluegrasslady
bluegrasslady

Return to NYS General Discussion