TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Albany Snow Removal Handicap Parking

Moderator: TenantNet

Albany Snow Removal Handicap Parking

Postby anonymous2995 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:30 pm

I am in upstate NY, Albany. I live in a large apartment complex owned by a local company. I have a valid handicap hangtag. It took the property manger here a few weeks to install the handicap sign. I have also, on several occasions, had cars parked in the one dedicated handicap spot with no hangtag/license plates. After various email to the property owner with no resolution, I began calling the local police to come issue tickets and/or tow the car.

Well, now it is a battle over snow removal. The complex does have a plow, of course. Due to being disabled I tend to not be outside at 5:00 am or 3:00 am when they chose to plow. I have asked several times for the walkways to be free of snow and also to salt the walkways in the rain. At this point the property manager has ignored my requests.

I also brought it to the property owner’s attention that my car gets plowed in when there is an empty spot to the right of me where they should be moving the snow to. I have been stuck in my spot at least 5 times. I have made the complex aware that no one wants their car plowed in, especially someone with a handicap.

Tonight, I noticed the lot was plowed…except for the area behind my car. Now, I have no idea if this is a coincidence or if this is their way of communicating to me that my complaints are unworthy of action or a reply.

Can someone tell me in NYS what code of the New York Tenant law (or other statute) may cover the issues I've raised? I really would like to be able to come and go like everyone else and not slip and fall on ice.
anonymous2995

Return to NYS General Discussion