TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

My situation...

Moderator: TenantNet

My situation...

Postby apex_predetor » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 pm

HEre is my situation.

I was leasing an effeciency apartment in Upstate, NY while I was attend school a couple years back. I got ito some financial trouble when my funding was cut during the last year of my program and wasnt' able to pay last 3 months rent (at $400/mo). I was in contact with the rental office/managemnt during the summer months when I was back home and they told me that I would have time to paya nd this happens all the time.

I called back about a month before my lease was to expire to ask how I could make arrangements to pay past due balance and I wanted to let them know that I would have my stuff out of there that weekend to give them time to clean, but I was notified that my belingings have been removed (thrown out) and the locks changed.

Do I have any recourse here. Most of the stuff thrown out was not worth much except for clothes and books, but I did lose deeds to my houses, and some paperwork filled out by my lawyer which costs quite a bit of $$ to replace?

It is my understanding that this was done in violation of NYS renters right with the entry and removal of my property?

Any advise here. I was never served eviction papers and was told I could make payment arrangements for the remaining balance.

Thanks for any info.
apex_predetor

Return to NYS General Discussion