TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What happens after a 30-day notice is received?

Moderator: TenantNet

What happens after a 30-day notice is received?

Postby dnybird2001 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:57 pm

My husband and I rent a house in Sullivan County. We had a two-year lease that ended in June. Despite many requests, the LL would not re-sign, so we are now renting month-to-month.

Briefly, for two years I have been complaining to my landlord about making repairs that I consider safety/health issues - most of my windows won't open, there is a 3-foot deep hole in driveway, and the LL did not clean up either indoors or outdoors after a terrible flood. I have informed my LL about many other repairs that need fixing, but she has ignored me.

After the flood, I just couldn't take it anymore - my yard is a mud-filled debris pile and my house smells of mold. I read my tenant's rights and the NYRPL, then wrote to the LL that I was not going to pay rent until she made repairs. I established an escrow account into which the rent is paid. I made my first payment on August 15th, which was the day my monthly rent was due.

She just sent a 30-day notice of termination, stating that I am "seriously arrears on rent" and have to be out by October 1. We have no intention of going anywhere. We want to counter her notice - but how? Do I need a lawyer at this point or can I handle this myself?

Thank you so much -

D[/i]
dnybird2001

Return to NYS General Discussion