TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need help or advise about Landlord and Tenant issue

Moderator: TenantNet

Need help or advise about Landlord and Tenant issue

Postby Haojun » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:33 am

Fact

We moved out one week before the lease end date and cleaned the apartment for one week. At that time we called the landlord about returned the key. However, he did not call back. We left keys in the kitchen. After one month, we received a letter from landlord. It said all the deposit was used for clean and listed the clean fee which included carpet shampooing, clear kitchen cabinets/drawers, and etc. Our deposit is $570. The total clean charge was $635 so we owed him $65. We think it is unreasonable. So we filed a claim to small claim court.

But he filed a counterclaim. This time he asked us for $2,627.84. (I think it is his retaliation) The detail is: Damages for cleaning, repair costs in excess of security deposit. Seeking $650 for the lost rent , $267.84 cleaning supplies, $1710 for rental compensation for unauthorized tenant.

Question:

1. What is the lost rent meaning? ($650)

2. How can we show the judge the clean fee is unreasonable? ($267.84)

3. For unauthorized tenant, the only ones I can think are my son and my mother who are not listed in lease. since my son was birthed after we moved in this apartment and my mother come to visit us from outside of country. I do not think he can charge us for that amount of money. ($1710) How can we beat back for that?

Now we have to face to face on the court. We do not know which materials we have to prepare and how can we argue during the hearing?

I'd appreciate any information you could give us.
Haojun

Return to NYS General Discussion