TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Broke Lease and is Suing Me!

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Broke Lease and is Suing Me!

Postby nani9871 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:40 pm

My ex-landlord is suing me for Breach of Lease. He and I signed a new lease for a year, then 2 weeks later he wrote me to say I had 2 weeks to get out because he sold the house in a 'short' sale. He broke the lease. And he threatened to hold on to my $3750 security deposit unless I agreed to leave. I obviously agreed and frantically found another place and paid astronomical rental fees. There is of course a lot more to this story, but that is the gist of it. Do I have a leg to stand on? He broke a legally binding lease and now wants money back for a house that was left spotless. He is money-hungry and it seems he only wants to find a way to bleed more money out of me. Will I still have to pay him anything when he caused all of this to come on himself by breaking a lease?

Thanks for your input!
nani9871

Postby TenantNet » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:32 am

I obviously agreed

Why, you had presumably a valid lease. If he sold the place, then he's no longer the landlord and the new landlord ONLY has standing to pressure you. All you had to do was say no.

Leg to stand on? For what? You agreed to move.

You said there's a lot more to the story ... let's hope so. Depending on his behavior, you might have a leg to go after him for a) the lease and b) moving expenses. Put the entire story together as a very short story and get a legal opinion.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion