TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can I set up an escrow account on my own for money being dem

Moderator: TenantNet

Can I set up an escrow account on my own for money being dem

Postby cdonovan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:14 am

My landlord, section 8 in upstate NY is demanding I pay "back rent" from 2008 due to earnings. I say the earnings were from a temporary job and therefore not included in annual income. They will not talk to me about it, just submitted me a letter on letterhead saying I have to pay them seventy five dollars a more rent starting April 1 to make good on the past earned income in 2008 or be evicted. Since I don't feel I have been given any hearing let alone a fair hearing, can I put the money in an account I set up in a bank and refer to it as an "escrow account" and tell them the money is theirs only and if we come to some kind of agreement. I don't like a demand being made upon me like this without my input and according to HUD literature, I am supposed to be included in on any repayment plan which I certainly have not been and plus the tenant is allowed pay back per month what they can afford. None of this has happened. Any tips or feedback? thank you.
cdonovan

Postby TenantNet » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:27 am

We're not Section 8 experts by any means, so you should probably seek out a different source on that. I would think though, that your annual income would come from all sources, including temporary and freelance jobs.

Having said that, how does the LL know about this? Did you tell them?

And I would think that HUD, not the LL, makes these determinations. And keeping the money separate and apart is a good idea.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion