TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

2-Unit Apartment - Found "Shared" Electric on my B

Moderator: TenantNet

2-Unit Apartment - Found "Shared" Electric on my B

Postby tommybluez » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:19 am

Hi There,

I live in a 2-unit (Upper/Lower) Duplex Unit in Buffalo NY.

Both apartments are identical and neither include Gas/Electric Utilities in Rent (Rent only includes, water & garbage)

I blew a fuse the other day and found that the Main Basement Stairwell lights (not a huge deal) are on my electric, as well as THREE Double Halogen Motion Lights along the driveway/lot...

Thats 6 flood lights on my electric -- and one stays on constantly, the other two stay on if its raining/snowing as they are apparently sensitive.

I cannot just shut the breaker off because it also controls the lights in the two bedrooms and bathroom.

What do I do at this point? I am paying for lighting in Common Areas....

I attempted to map out my breaker box and there are three other fuses I cannot seem to figure out what they control... I am assuming 2 are for the furnace and hot water... (they would usually be on separate ones I'm assuming??) but then there's still a 3rd that doesn't shut off anything in my apartment...

Please advise what to do from here...

I'm happy @ my apartment and do not want to move, but I don't think its fair i'm paying for common area lighting in a driveway for 3 Houses... especially considering I don't even use the side door that they are for...
tommybluez

Postby lofter1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Contact the company that supplies your electricity / monitors your meter and explain the situation.

This is most likely a "shared meter" situation and you are wrongfully being charged for power that you're not responsible for.

Search the forum here for "Shared Meter" - there's lots of info, such as this:

http://www.tenant.net/Rights/Utility/utilch08.html
lofter1

Return to NYS General Discussion