TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Evicted because upstairs neighbor complain. Rights?

Moderator: TenantNet

Evicted because upstairs neighbor complain. Rights?

Postby habit50 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Long story short I rent an apt in a large old house shared by 4 other tenants. One "gentleman" who lives upstairs has now called the police on me 4 times and the LL countless times. This is for watching TV past 11pm because he says it "echoes". Keep in mind my hearing is top notch at 32, and I am respectful of my neighbors. No one else I have EVER lived with or next to has complained in all that time is my point.

Well, he called again last night and the LL called me and said I had to leave, she felt bad because she understands the walls are thin and the guy is a bit of a wackjob.

My questions are simple. If she is evicting me she must bring me to court and provide notice, correct? I've violated no terms of lease but I am month to month anyway.

How long does this type of eviction take. If I am being forced out and present my case in court am I required to pay rent during the time I am being thrown out on the street for nothing?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
habit50

Postby TenantNet » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:23 pm

I've violated no terms of lease but I am month to month anyway.

Either you have a lease or you don't. If not, the LL must give you 30 days written notice. Then they can take you to court. And they need no reason to seek your eviction.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby habit50 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:17 pm

TenantNet wrote:
I've violated no terms of lease but I am month to month anyway.

Either you have a lease or you don't. If not, the LL must give you 30 days written notice. Then they can take you to court. And they need no reason to seek your eviction.

Right, should have been more clear on that. What I meant was that there is no lease but I committed now gross violations of Noise Ordances and all that good stuff and when the police kept getting called the said the same. They were getting very tired of his calls and not hearing any noise from me.

Even if they need no reason for eviction can they push me out quicker if I don't pay rent during this last month of the eviction process. I can't see having to pay for the place when I am getting booted for no reason.
habit50

Return to NYS General Discussion