TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can a landlord inspect when no reason to suspect damage?

Moderator: TenantNet

Can a landlord inspect when no reason to suspect damage?

Postby luchia » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:38 pm

I am a tenant, and have been on some sites that are supposedly for tenants and landlords but seem to have mostly landlord opinions. I am hearing things like the landlord can inspect any time for any or no reason, look pretty much anywhere, cabinets, etc. Anything goes as long as they give notice first. What is the law in this regard? I must say, I think if someone pays for a place, and is acting properly, is reasonable in their habits and housekeeping, they should be left alone. One shouldn't lose their rights to privacy and peaceful enjoyment because a landlord is a nervous type who just wants to check on them. Thanks.
Luchia
luchia

Postby TenantNet » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:53 pm

Landlords do have a right to inspect an apartment, but there are restrictions and requirements. Search this forum for MANY discussions on this, and see the access rules in the Reference section of the forum.

They do not have the right to look anywhere, for example a closet, or under a bed. They must specify in the advance written request (and which you can offer alternate days/times) the reason for the access request and if for inspection, what specifically they want to inspect. They can't take photos without your permission (and you would be a fool to give them permission).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion