TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Document Search

Moderator: TenantNet

Document Search

Postby Jezebel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about trying to track down an agreement between a landlord and the Attorney General's office dating back to 1982.

The quick overview is that I recently found out about an Assurance of Discontinuance entered into between the Department of Law and Wiener Realty Co. in 1982. Wiener Realty was the precursor of the Pinnacle Group, who many people here will recognize for their many abuses and for two more recent OAG investigations (as recent as 2006 and 2008).

And no, the OAG's office has not been able to help, at least not via phone or their website -- not surprising given this is an almost 30-year old document.

I'm thinking there must be some way for me to dig a little deeper here and find out more about the circumstances of what must have been an investigation and eventually this agreement -- I'm just not sure where to start. Anyone have any ideas?
Jezebel

Postby TenantNet » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 pm

I'd start with a Freedom of Information Law request. Make sure you ask for the right document and by its correct name.

Also, are you in contact with the Pinnacle Tenants Association?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Jezebel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I know it's an Assurance of Discontinuance and that it was in 1982, but not a whole lot more. A FOIL request makes sense, though as you imply, I might not have enough info to pinpoint the exact document/investigation I'm looking for.

I have been in touch with a number of individual tenants and have been following the class-action lawsuit very carefully (the judge had a conference with the parties this morning,) but am unaware of the Pinnacle Tenants Association.

Is it an organization of any Pinnacle tenants, or specific to a building or group of buildings? I googled it, but mostly came up with references to the Dunbar Association -- but they're not even Pinnacle tenants any more -- Pinnacle lost those buildings to creditors a few months ago.
Jezebel

Postby TenantNet » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:56 am

I don't know what they actually call themselves, but I believe they have some sort of association, either for individual buildings or among various Pinnacle-owned buildings.

The name Kim Powell has been mentioned in a number of articles as has a group called BRUSH. See http://buyersandrentersunitedtosaveharlem.blogspot.com/
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion