TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

broken door lock

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

broken door lock

Postby laura » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:28 pm

I just had to have my lock replaced on my apartment door because the key stopped working. (The locksmith said the tumbler was broken and couldn't be fixed.) I tried to contact my super, but he was gone. The locksmith charged $450 because it was a nighttime emergency. Is my landlord responsible for paying me back?

<small>[ December 27, 2002, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: daisy ]</small>
laura

Re: broken door lock

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:06 pm

The landlord is responsible for maintaining the lower lock. Normally in this case you would just replace the tumbler, which costs couple of bucks, instead of the entire lock. My guess is your LL isn't going to be happy about getting a $450 bill.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby laura » Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:26 pm

Thank you for your replies. I agree that the LL will not be happy. I was just wondering about their legal obligations. The broken lock was the lower lock for which they are responsible. I waited several hours for the super to return, and it was quite late at night. Given my frustration at the time, it felt like a reasonable amount of time had passed. I doubt the LL will concur.
laura

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:00 am

As me again pointed out, the LL is required to repair the lock after you've notified him it needs repair. The fact that you paid a locksmith before you gave the LL the opportunity to make repairs could relieve him of that responsibility.

Your LL probably has an idea of how much this should cost and might be willing to share it with you but I doubt he'll be willing to swallow $450 without a fight.
Cranky Tenant

Postby NYCkid » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:14 am

You got ripped!!! I have heard that nightime emergency locksmiths charge $100. So where does the additional $350 come in? A new tumbler costs anywhere from 5 to 100 dollars. The work takes about five minutes once the door is open (thats what you paid the 100 for). Go tell the locksmith that either he refund some money or you will report him to the BBB.
NYCkid

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:09 pm

Let's not go over the top.

Even if there is a master key system, most likely theLL will just replace the tumbler instead of the entire lock. And since the tumbler was broken, he really shouldn't charge for this.
Cranky Tenant

Postby NYCkid » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:51 am

Yes, if she agreed to the price the sky is the limit, but it seems a bit like extortion (I am not saying that it technically is). You are in a tough spot and you are desperate. A 24 hour locksmith is supposed to offer services in good faith, not take advantage of people. Probably no law was broken, but it is bad business on the locksmith's part.

If the locksmith is a member of the BBB they can help negotiate your complaint with the vendor. If they are not members, it may be pointless.

On having to give the LL a key, I think this is a bit exaggerated. Many LL's dont even care about this. If her's does, I am sure he let her know about it.
NYCkid

Return to NYC General Discussion