TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

what else my landlord can steal from me?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

what else my landlord can steal from me?

Postby marina » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:48 pm

Need advice!!! A few years ago I found myself in a terrible apartment with decaying walls, leaking gas pipes, no hit, and many other "nice" things. The landlord would not even talk to me for 4 months when I called and asked to do the repairs. Finally, to make him do something in the apartment, I just stopped paying, and a couple of months later, moved out. A few months after that, I received a letter from my landlord's lawyers where I was warned about a law suite. I disregarded the letter. As it turned out, the law suite did take place (I never received a summons), and since I did not show up, I was found responsible for $12,000. How do I know that? Simply because two days ago I found my bank account empty. I went to my branch and was told that all I had ($3,000) was repossessed by my landlord and his lawyers. According to them, I still owe more money (which I simply do not have.)

These are my questions:
1. Is there anything at all I can do to cure the situation and retrieve my money? I cannot afford a lawyer :(

2. What else can these people steal from me: say can they tow away my car or take some personal belongings from my apartment?

Any advice / help is greatly appreciated!
marina

Re: what else my landlord can steal from me?

Postby Lilly » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:27 pm

since LL already won and executed a judgement against you (your bank account) the only thing to fear is.....the balance owed on the judgement. At this point your only option is an order to show cause or an appeal of the judgement, but I think you only had 30 days to file an appeal on the
judgement. I don't remember if you're even still in the same state.
Lilly

Re: what else my landlord can steal from me?

Postby consigliere » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:29 pm

You can move to vacate the default judgment.

You have to say that you weren't served or weren't properly served with the legal papers, and you also have to plead a meritorious defense.

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion