TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Camera?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Camera?

Postby nuisance » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:41 pm

Okay, I went to court in Feb. for trying to stay in my apartment with 2 dogs. We settled in court that I would only have the 2 dogs I have and no more than that. I also cannot play with my dogs in front of my building (I ususally do it late late at night went no one is walking up and down the block) and I cannot walk the dogs in front of the building. I'm on a 9 month probation (til Nov). Anyway, my Super just recently put a camera (like one of those that are in Taxi/Livery/Car Service cabs) on my floor and only my floor. I think they're trying to get something on me to evict me. Is it illegal to put a camera just on my floor? I feel like they're just constantly watching me. I've already had confrontations with my Super always watching me when I'm walking my dogs outside on the leash and have had the police come upon the request of the Super. The police apologized and knew the situation wasn't my doing. I also called the police on the Super for still watching me.

P.S. - There are regular cameras in the lobby.
nuisance

Re: Camera?

Postby mbrenner » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:11 pm

What kind of dogs do you have?
mbrenner

Postby nuisance » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:13 pm

American Staffshire Terriers
nuisance

Postby mjr203 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:21 pm

I don't get it

surely you're either permitted to have the dogs or not

how can they restrict your activity in front of the building or say when you can walk your dogs?
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby jot0n0 » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:26 pm

Mind you I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the LL is within his right to install cameras in the hallways/common areas of the building which is no different than installing them at the building entrance. As to harassment via calling the police on you, it’s difficult to prove, LL can easily claim he’s simply calling the police to protect his property. You would need to show that super is filing false police reports to get more leverage in your harrassment claim. By the way, better make sure your dogs are on leashes when you're around the building.
jot0n0

Postby nuisance » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:30 pm

Well when I went to court they did the "nuisance" rule on me for playing right outside the building. And in the settlement it states...1) keep both dogs on leashes when outside the apartment; 2) Not play with the dogs in the front of the building; 3) Not put any of the dogs toys or things in the public hallway; 4) Maintain control of the dogs at all times; 5) Cannot walk the dogs on the premises-park nearby. B) Should any of these items occur or Respondent brings in another dog or the dogs be found to cause any type of nuisance, Petitioner will return to court.
nuisance

Postby nuisance » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:32 pm

John,
But they only install one and it's on my floor!!! there are 6 other floors and two sides to the building.
nuisance

Postby shirts and shoes » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:34 pm

Hi,

I read somewhere that LL can install cameras in public areas, but I would take photos documenting that the camera is only on your floor in case you have to go to court again. Perhaps you can argue that they are harassing you by only installing a camera on your floor. I don't get it, that you settled about not playing with the dogs in front of the building. What jurisdiction does the LL have regarding sidewalks of NYC? Did you settle with a stipulation and not see a judge? If you have had your dogs "open and notoriously" for over 3 months, the LL had no right to restrict pets in your apartment.

Take Care,
311 Roslyn Court Tenant Asssociation
Brooklyn, NY
shirts and shoes

Postby nuisance » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:24 pm

Read this:
http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000087

I settled in court w/o a judge cause I was scared basically of being kicked out and my lawyer advised me that this was a good thing.
nuisance

Postby ChrisG » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:40 am

what i can't figure out is what the LL thinks placing a camera on your floor will achieve. does he have a camera pointed out at the front of your building? he'll ony be able to see you coming and going, not where you take the dogs. unless this is part of a larger plan, like he notes when you take the dogs out and then has a private eye follow you or something. but if he's doing that then he's just nuts.
ChrisG

Postby Chimera » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:51 am

Realistically, we have no idea why there is a camera on this floor. It is pure speculation to say that it was installed specifically to spy on a particular tenant. If you, nuisance, settled out of court, simply abide by those terms, and by all building rules, and you have nothing to worry about. They can watch you all they want, you only have something to worry about if you have something to hide. Landlord and Super are within their rights to install cameras in common areas, and they are also within their rights to watch you.

It is technically considered a crime to file a false police report, but trying to prove it is false can be very difficult. My recommendation would be to just lay low and let this blow over.

<small>[ April 01, 2003, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Chimera ]</small>
Chimera

Postby nuisance » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:18 am

I do have nothing to hide but to know that they're looking for something to get on me is just ridiculous. I mean, it's like someone spying on you for no reason. I just wanted to know if it is illegal because it is only on my floor and my side. There are cameras in the lobby but they're are regular security cameras and the only security cameras besides the one on my floor.
nuisance

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:52 pm

Quite honestly, I doubt anyone will even take the time look at the tape from this camera ... that is if it even works and has a tape or some sort of output

If the super installed the camera in clear view he probably put it there just to bug you. Don't let h im have that satisfaction. Just go about your business and try not to worry about it.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby nuisance » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:33 pm

The camera is placed in the corner on the window in the hallway and it's the same color as the frame of the window. So I dunno if they're trying to hide it or that's the color it came in. If I was just a 'normal' tenant I wouldn't notice it at all.
nuisance

Postby jot0n0 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:12 pm

As mentioned above, putting cameras in common areas, even if it is only on your floor is within LL rights. We can only speculate as to the LL motivate, most likely to ensure you’re complying to the court settlement and if you are not, then as a mean to gather evidence for future legal action, that is if it is actually a real camera and not one of those fake one. Others gave good advice in just ignoring it and getting on with your life, as long as you abide by the settlement, LL can’t do anything to you. If you get yourself work up over this, then the LL wins.

<small>[ April 02, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: John ]</small>
jot0n0

Next

Return to NYC General Discussion