TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

BBQing in Manhattan

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

BBQing in Manhattan

Postby five2eyesblu » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:13 am

Hi I live in an bottom floor of an apt building with a private yard. I just bought a new BBQ and began using it about a week ago. My neighbor next door complained of the smell - said that 911 gave her some sort of health problem and the smoke bothers her and to let her know when I do it so she can close her windows. Well she says that she also puts on her air conditioner (which I believes pulls air from outside - so it probably makes things worse). Well today I had a few friends over and BBQ'd for them - not only did I warn her ahead of time, but she decided to come over after I was done - and proceeded to harass me at my front door and then said that BBQing causes cancer and how she thinks it's illegal to do - any advice - preferably a lawyer who knows the city laws? I've only been in this apt for a few months - and only in NYC for a little over 2 yrs. Never had this kind of problem in the past with any privious tenants. She's been here for over 20 yrs - must drive out tenants all the time.
five2eyesblu

Re: BBQing in Manhattan

Postby mjr203 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:08 pm

sounds like a witch.

I'd be nice and locate the BBQ in a section of the yard towards the back but I don't think she has much of a complaint otherwise.

[see below] I'm not sure what she'd have to demonstrate to get you to stop -- you have the right to enjoy your apartment which includes the yard.

Can you clarify -- is she your neighbor IN YOUR BUILDING or is her place (and yard?) adjacent to you?

-POINTER

<small>[ April 23, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:43 pm

I think there may be a law about BBQs and having an "open flame." Most of the people I know who BBQ in the city have electric grills.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby mjr203 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:47 am

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/barbeque/rcny_sect_24_04.html

New York City Fire Department
§24-02
Barbecues on Residential Property.
Barbecues on residential property shall not be operated within ten (10) feet of any combustible material and there shall be available for use a garden type hose attached to a water supply or at least a sixteen (16) quart pail of water.

Additional rules:

Barbecue season is finally here! There are a few things to watch out for when cooking outdoors so that you enjoy yourself and stay safe!

Never use a propane barbecue grill on a balcony, terrace or roof. It is both dangerous and illegal.

Propane barbecue grills and no more than two (2) 20-pound propane tanks are allowed on the grounds of a one or two-family home, but be sure to follow the fire safety precautions below.

Only use a charcoal barbecue grill on a balcony or terrace if there is a ten foot clearance from the building and there is an immediate source of water (garden hose or four (4) gallon pail of water). Otherwise, such barbequeings is dangerous and illegal.

<small>[ April 23, 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: pointerout ]</small>
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby mjr203 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:14 am

Originally posted by me again:
so, i guess there was one after all, eh pointer?
from the wording posted, it looks like electric grills weren't thought about in that law. having an electric grill and a big old bucket of water nearby certainly doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense, but that's government for ya.
then again, maybe most people don't barbeque on electric grills in their backyard.

anyway, five2eyesblu, if you can locate the grill 10 feet from the building and keep a nice fat bucket of water or a hose handy -- it sounds like you should be able to grill every day this summer.

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby consigliere » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:57 am

The New York City Fire Department's Barbeque Safety web page has this to say about electric grills:

ELECTRIC GRILLS

Keep the grill at least 10 feet away from any combustible material.

Do NOT use any flammable liquid to start an electric grill.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions in the use of an electric grill.

When using an electrical extension cord, make sure it is properly rated for the amperage required for the electric grill. Otherwise you could risk an electrical fire.

consigliere

Return to NYC General Discussion