TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

land dispute

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

land dispute

Postby kathy » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:41 pm

my husband and i made a verbal agreement with his parent's to buy a mobile home and to have a peice of land left to us.we lived here 14 yrs. before my husbands death.we paid off their lien and made additional payment's for the land,also made many improvments.they put every thing in my husband's name and now say there was no agreement with me.
my mother in law tried to evict me for non payment
when it was just late and has refused to sign over the deed to the mobile home.the family has tried to threaten me they have broken into and stolen my proptery even gone thru my mail
kathy

Re: land dispute

Postby consigliere » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:28 pm

You posted your message in the wrong place. It belongs in New York State or in Other States/Areas. There are very few mobile homes in New York City, and they're all in New York City's one and only mobile home park.

Did your husband have a will? If so, did he leave the mobile home and the land to you? Even if he had a will, some states require a certain percentage of the estate, with a minimum dollar amount, to be given to the surviving spouse.

What payments are you making to your in-laws? Have you consulted a lawyer? Have you called the police and the postal inspector?

consigliere

Re: land dispute

Postby kathy » Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:36 pm

thank's for you'r quick response.in answer to you'r questino's no my husband didnt have a will.i did how ever get a lawyer and settled out of court,i get to keep the mobile home and every thing we put on the land and 3 month's free rent of the land + some cash.when the 3 month's are up she'll be tryin to evict me again.between now and thne i plan to file for exectuer of my husband's estate,mabye then i'll still be able to keep the land.
kathy

Return to NYC General Discussion