TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I got the Landlord Blues, Please Help

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

I got the Landlord Blues, Please Help

Postby jandd » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:05 pm

So here is the situation. I have a past with a problem with a landlord, so I have no patience for them at all.

I got a new apartment and by mistake (new job, long hours, mind is fried) i moved out a month early. the landlord is using my security deposit as the last months rent. I told the landlord that i would try and get rid of the apartment for him during the month of April to get my money back. he agreed. he then called me and told me that he ripped up the floor and carpet, doing repairs. so not to show the apartment. I left some clothes, food, and little odds and ends in the apartment. I said "i want you to stop work in the apartment, until my lease is up, May 1." If he wants to be a stickler to the lease, then so will I. I have possession until May 1. He told me that I moved my stuff out, I broke the lease. He said that the security is being applied to the April rent, that I actually never paid rent. He is saying that I have no rights and that he will get rid of my stuff that is still in the apartment.

Do I still have possession of the apartment? Do I have the right to tell him not to do repairs until May 1?
Do I have any rights in the apartment anymore?

Thank you for your help.
jandd
jandd

Re: I got the Landlord Blues, Please Help

Postby Chimera » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:20 am

If you turned in your keys you do not have possession of the apartment.
Chimera

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments