TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Gas

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

No Gas

Postby santandar » Thu May 02, 2002 12:37 pm

We moved in to a new apartment on the 15th of April. I have called the landlord several times to complain about not having any gas in the apartment. He informed us that he has people working on it but it has not been fixed as of today. I was wondering what I can do or do I have to just sit tight until it is fixed.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
santandar

Re: No Gas

Postby ChrisG » Thu May 02, 2002 7:31 pm

just an idea to expediate the process, have you called the gas company to set up the line? if the LL is messing around with the lines maybe having the gas guy come out to look at it will speed things up. did the LL say what the problem actually was?
ChrisG

Postby santandar » Fri May 03, 2002 3:05 pm

Yes we have but we get a different story each time. First the gas company told us that the landlord needs to put a meter in place. The landlord then told us that this will be done in a day or two. The people who came to fix it told us that there are no gas lines leading into the apartment and they have to fix that, which I believe is now fixed. The landlord now tells us that ConEd has to come and fix the meter and that he does not know when that will happen as that is up to ConEd.

Is there any legal action I can take to resolve this??

Thanks.
santandar

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri May 03, 2002 3:55 pm

Is this a new building? Otherwise it sounds like the building had a gas leak and the gas was probably shut off by ConEd. If that's the case, it could be months before gas is restored.After everything is done the work still has to pass inspection by ConEd.

Installing new gas lines is like installing plumbing. They run a pipe up from the basement and plug it into your appliances. It should be fairly obvious whether this work has taken place or not.

You could bring legal action but most likely the work will be completed before your case will be heard in court. In the meantime you should ask your LL for a rent reduction to conpensate for lack of gas.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues